AmiQuote will not Install

I am attempted to downloaded AmiQuote to try it out and I keep getting this error message

An error prevents this program from continuing
Could not extract the current file. Access is denied

Can you let me know how to fix this issue
Thanks
Martin

Cannot install AmiQuote 3.25

There is a process running in the background that locked the file exclusively. If that happens you need to restart windows and then run setup.

Hi

Yes restarted but I still get the error
Any other suggestions
Cheers
Martin

There are no other suggestions - if file is not locked by another process (some bad antivirus for example), then the only thing left is that you DO NOT HAVE ACCESS RIGHTS to install into the folder you are trying to install and that is why you are getting “access denied” error. It is YOUR computer, you should now what you are doing.
You are probably trying to install to Program Files without having access rights to it.
You should RUN FULL SETUP of AmiBroker from http://www.amibroker.com/download.html FIRST because AmiQuote is ADD-ON.

See also this:
http://ask.amibroker.org/index.php?qa=64&qa_1=get-message-could-not-extract-the-current-file-access-denied&show=64#q64

The message “Could not extract the current file. Access is denied” means that either:

1. File that is about to be written is locked by some running program (then you have to close the program or restart Windows). The easiest solution is to restart Windows and then re-try.
  2. The destination directory does not exist or is not writable. Make sure that destination directory exists and is not marked as read-only.

Nice email for a support team, Obviously you know everything .
I haven’t used your software before and after this email I am inclined to go elsewhere.

As Tomasz wrote - AmiQuote is an ADD-ON to AmiBroker. You need to have AmiBroker installed to use AmiQuote.

Have you tried installing AmiBroker in C:\Users\YourUserName\AmiBroker directory? I install some programs in such location, to avoid saving my personal or config files in some directories who knows where (just because the program didn’t have rights to save files in Program Files directory). You are most likely to have access rights to install programs and save files in this folder. It may be worth trying…

But what else did you expect from the support? In case you didn’t notice, you received two detailed answers not from an anonymous “support team”, but from the owner and developer of AmiBroker, who was trying to help you and provided you with some useful hints. If you are so disgruntled, try receiving support from Bill Gates with regards to Windows’ access rights :wink:

You are obviously passionate about your product. which I like a lot I understand that you are helping its’ just that I don’t know all about your product as I have used it before.
Does not do you justice to mention other software providers.
Thank you both for your help

… now I don’t know if it was a sarcasm when you wrote about “Nice email for a support team” or not. You wrote that after this email you "are inclined to go elswere " …

If the only reason for your decision (to go somewhere else) is that you are not able to install the program, I am sure, that this problem can be solved. Thousands of users have this program installed on various systems and configurations (ranging from Win 95-98 to the latest versions of windows 10), so I am sure it can be also installed on your computer…

And I can guarantee - AmiBroker is really worth trying :+1:

Regards

I have the same type of problem. I purchased and downloaded AmiQuote directly without AmiBroker and successfully installed it on my laptop. Now I wish to add it to my workstation.

I downloaded AmiQuote directly again and installation seemed to go fine. Folders were created as before. Startup failed with the following message:

I like the program and could use some of your expertise.

Thanks, Dave

Maybe this wil help you:

http://www.amibroker.com/kb/2015/01/16/how-to-fix-side-by-side-configuration-error-in-64-bit-version/

Thank you for the quick answer. Before I proceed, I would like to present the Microsoft Warning for your opinion:

A security issue has been identified leading to a vulnerability in MFC applications that are built with Visual Studio 2005 and ship the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package.

Is there a later release of this required piece?

Thanks, Dave

I’m sorry Dave, I’d rather not advise you on that. Maybe @Tomasz or other user (more proficient than me) will respond. I wouldn’t like to misinform you :wink:

Regards

Thank you for your help. I should have mentioned it was a 64-bit installation.

I am downloading and installing what is required along with any security updates.

I read @Tomasz had recompiled the 64-bit version of AmiBroker and just assumed (I know) he had recompiled the 64-bit version of AmiQuote.

Dave

As I wrote previously. Instead of installing AmiQuote alone you should run FULL SETUP of AmiBroker. It includes AmiQuote AND required runtimes. It is one install for everything and you don’t need to worry about runtimes.

Separate install of AmiQuote is ONLY provided for those who ALREADY run FULL AmiBroker setup. AmiQuote is an ADD-ON. It should not be used “alone”.

Different versions are compiled with different compilers and require different runtimes and they are only shipped with full setup of AmiBroker.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I appreciate your coding expertise and patience with new customers.

Dave