AmiBroker 6.40.2 released

Really appreciate the changes - especially the GFX improvements.

3 Likes

Thank you. Excellent release.

2 Likes

I remember when "Tom terrific" use to reference the American football "G.O.A.T", quarterback Tom Brady. Well he definitely has some competition. Thank you Tomasz!

Happy, healthy and prosperous new year to everyone.
-S

2 Likes

New update with some great features to welcome the new year. Thanks Tomasz, and happy new year!

1 Like

Thanks you and Happy new year!

There is one (important) change that is not mentioned in the "CHANGES" log.

The TickerBar has been completely changed to allow handling databases with millions of symbols, see this forum thread: Import wizard for huge files (5 million symbols,2.5GB+ into 230GB database) - #30 by Tomasz

As discussed in that thread:

ListBox is pretty old component in Windows (Microsoft did it in '90s) and it was never designed to handle more than 32K elements at the time they wrote it. While in modern Windows you can add more elements to it, it is pathetically slow and it takes few minutes to fill 5 million elements. Filling that listbox occurs when you load database or when you change symbol names or full names. Therefore this is yet another component of Windows that must be replaced by custom code to be able to handle millions of items quickly. So "rewriting Windows" saga continues.
Once I replace Windows component by custom code it should be able to handle millions of symbols within fraction of second (I hope).

So this was another part of Windows OS that is pretty much useless for large number of items and I had to reimplement that too.

The trouble was I started working on that but got distracted with other stuff and that work was only partially done and did not get into "CHANGES" log (because it wasn't complete).

So in 6.40.2 ticker box is already super fast and handles millions of items very quickly, but some of functionality is missing (namely optional "full name" display and quick auto-complete / search, i.e. ability to type partial symbol name + ENTER would auto-complete if symbol with matching prefix is found)

This functionality re-implemented is coming in 6.40.3.

11 Likes

Re-writing windows sounds tedious, but if anyone were prime for the job I think you'd be the one @Tomasz :rofl:

I can't imagine how long it must take to download data from 5 million symbols!

1 Like

it took 12 minutes ))

2 Likes

Happy New Year to you too Tomasz! What a way to start the new year - BANG!! :fireworks: Thanks for such a great product!

1 Like

Faster than I would have thought! Who's your data provider?

1 Like

Faster than I would have thought! Who's your data provider?

IQFeed.
I've tested some strategies with weekly options. So, I downloaded the intraday historical data for weekly options since 2014 till now:
670 underlying symbols * 7 years * 12 months * 4 weeks * (10 call strikes + 10 put strikes) = 5 mln symbols

2 Likes

Thank you very much for this great release.
QuickGfx is fantastic, I can't stop wasting all cycles saved by adding superfluous bells & whistles :joy:
I also like very much BarsSinceCompare() which makes some scripts much cleaner !
The Chakra engine is a great improvement too but I'm a bit concerned as it's not supported anymore by Microsoft. I guess it's easier to integrate than V8 though.

Happy new year & Best wishes !

1 Like

i would like to pay the new version

1 Like

Upgrades are available for purchase here Ordering Page

2 Likes

You may considering pinning the post about Ticker Box,
I was wondering why auto-complete isn't working suddenly and spent time reading here when i found this post.
It will help others and maybe save you time on emails :slight_smile:
The thread is pinned but this post is like #10

1 Like

I am afraid Discourse does not allow pinning individual posts, but I highlighted post #10

By the way: 6.40.3 will be released January 15.

4 Likes

This Might not be the right forum but i thought it was worth sharing, This release has made a huge improvement to my used system resources. well done! thanks

2 Likes

Do you mean in terms of CPU resources or other? Please share some more details.

Can't pin it down to any specific metric (Gpu,cpu,memory), anecdotally, before the upgrade it was heaps laggier. (and it's the only thing thats changed in 2 weeks on the pc)
I usually ran with this 3 window layout (attached), and if i wanted to do anything else on the computer, like start up Spyder/Anconda, I would have to maximize the 5min window so it was the only one showing then the load factor would drop by half.
Otherwise everything was just heaps slower. that's how i noticed it really, other apps weren't freezing anymore when i forgot to maximize.
As it is right now the load factor for me has gone from averaging 280 in the background, to about 200/220 now.

ami

If load factor drops, it means that CPU load is decreased. Did you enable QuickGFX?

I also noticed that you have 10 million bars per symbol. That is rather large. You would significantly get much better performance if you set 1 million bars, see Performance tuning tips especially because you don't use that much data (scroll bar shows that you are zoomed in to less than 10% of history you have).