Best CPUs for Amibroker Optimizations

Hey all,

After seeing a few days register for my latest optimization, I got impatient and started scouring eBay for a monster machine. I see you can buy the AMD Epyc 7551 32/64 CPU for under $500. I currently have a high-spec i7 8/8 (no threads) core.

I see 32 core is highest Amibroker can go, from posts in 2019, is this still the case?

Has anyone tested a 32 core chip, how much faster did it complete jobs over a say older 8 core chip?

I expect overall speed is more around a number of cores vs the speed of each, as it distributes symbols across the cores. I guess the question is would there be much difference between an Epyc 32 or Threadripper 32 which is 7X the price? Can't imagine there would be relative value there?

I was reading the pages on threading, so expect a real core is better than virtual but how much, a 16/core chip would be 2/3 price of a true 32 chip, would there be a noticeable difference here?

So the way I see it comes down to 4 options:

1 - Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32/64-Core ($3k)
2 - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 3.5GHz 16/32 core ($1k)
3 - AMD Epyc 7551 32/64 CPU ($500)
4 - AMD EPYC 7351 16/32 Core ($300)

3 seems the standout to me?

Thanks

Don’t forget that with the threadrippers, that you will probably have to commit to water cooling the processor - just something to consider. I have a 3950X and think it is great.

Thanks for the reply, it's a good point, all the additionals add a lot of costs, even the motherboards for threadripper or Epyc are around the $1k ... which is why I am trying to figure out if a full system upgrade will give me much better speeds, spending $5k to get 30-50% better is not worth it IMO but if we are talking 4X or more then I will consider ..

Did you have anything before 3950X that you ran Amibroker on?

1 Like

I set up an AMD system(Asus TUF B450M-Plus Gaming, Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1650 Super, Samsung 1TB M.2 SSD) recently. Kept getting occasional BSOD. Updated the BIOS and it seems to fix it. BUT I still got one BSOD yesterday. Just see the long list of BIOS revision in the Asus support website, AMD system still have a way to go in terms of system stability.
The Amibroker is still in my 8 year old Core i7 2600 system.

I expect overall speed is more around a number of cores vs the speed of each

Typically that is not the case due to Amdahl's law. Recommended reading: http://www.amibroker.com/kb/2017/10/06/limits-of-multithreading/

1 Like

Did you have anything before 3950X that you ran Amibroker on?

@topmark - I had a i7-5960X for a long time that I was happy with before it died

AMD system still have a way to go in terms of system stability

@Peter2047 - I found with mine that I had to use qualified memory in order to get things running properly. I tried to use the memory from my old system but was getting random instability issues. Once I switched to a set of RAM that was on ASUS's QVL it worked great. Something to try if you have not already.

Stupid question but if you are going to be doing such extensive backtesting/optimization, why not just spin up some cloud-based virtual windows machines. That way you can run the strategies simultaneously. If you are running a computationally intensive strategy over all the US stock universe (you shouldn't but I won't tell you what to do) you can partition them by a few different groups of letters and let them rip. Since its CPU only, you can just spin up multiple single core machines - you would have to play around with it. Use 4GB RAM and 20GB SSD (do you need more?) and you are good to go. Kamatera express would charge you 0.10 AN HOUR for such a machine. Beats paying 3K for a multicore CPU and new system to run it. I might prefer this approach.

Virtual machines are a whole lot slower than real hardware.

2 Likes