Create a watchlist for US stocks

Hello how are you,
I want to create a list with all the "top" American stocks (NYSE+Nasdaq+NYSE American). I select what can be seen in the image but I don't understand the last concept (Derivatives Association). Can someone explain to me what that is and how it can affect my choice?

And a second question, how could I filter (discard) stocks that have a price less than $1 and an average volume less than 100k? Can it be done from this "New Dynamic Watchlist"?

Thank you so much

The "Derivatives Assocation" means whether there are any derviatives (in this case Cboe Options) that that the stock as an underlying security.

Once you click "Delisted" you'll notice that this option disappears - we don't provide any information on whether a stock was optionable in the past.

For the price/volume filtering, you need to do that in your RealTest script.

It can't be done in the Norgate Data dynamic watchlist. You might want to reconsider using a "volume" filter too. Consider a 100K volume stock that has a 2:1 Stock Split. Assuming the trading value remains constant, its volume will become roughly 50K thereafter.

Lastly, you mention "top" - why not use historical index constituents?

Thank you very much for the quick answer.

Unfortunately, I haven't quite figured out if it is better to select "No associated Derivaties" or "Cboe Options" or neither of the two.

Thanks for the advice related to volume, it is indeed more interesting to filter by Capitalization (volume*price) than just by volume since if the price varies enough you do not have good references. I will do so.

When I say "top" I mean current stocks that I can buy/sell now, with a certain capitalization, price a little above $1, etc. I understand that the "historical index constituents" also fall into that definition, right?

Finally, I would like to ask you a question and I would be very grateful if you would answer me:
Where and how could I be informed or understand in maximum detail your classification of Markets (50) and Groups (36) and why the symbols are in one place or another?
For example, and for those of us who have a somewhat low level of knowledge, why this classification and a small definition of what each thing is would be appreciated.

Thank you so much

There's a few terminology issues in your posting that you will probably want to learn.

Capitalization (Market Cap) usually refers to the (total) company size, not to the dollar traded volume. Dollar traded volume is also known as "Turnover". The average of dollar traded volume is also known as liquidity.

Historical index constituents are based upon the index provider's methodology. They use a combination of free float (i.e. the amount of stock available for trading by non-insiders/institutional holders), market cap ranges and liquidity.

The markets represent the listing venue of the stock. The group represent a series of logical subgroupings of Equity, ETPs, Debt, Hybrid and Derivative instruments. You could use resources like Investopedia to learn more about this types of security classes. (Norgate Data is a data vendor, not an educator).

Until you understand what it means about Cboe Options available for a particular stock, it's best you leave things at the default. Things might be different if you are an options trader just looking to limit your universe of stocks for analysis - but it sounds like you're not.

1 Like