Delta Phenomenon - Cycles Study

Hello people

This is still the strangest book about trading (cycles) that I've read, and is from Welles Wilder, nothing less (the RSI creator). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Welles_Wilder_Jr.
In it he claims that there is a "Hidden Order in All Markets".

The system uses a strange and very specific period:
Every 4 revolutions of the moon around the earth, that is every 4 lunar months.
Lunar month = mean period of 29.53059 days (29 days 12 hours and 44 minutes).
So 4 LM = 118.12236

Cutting to the chase, I have the short study written for TOS here:

input start = 20010101;
input period = 118.12;

def count = DaysFromDate(start) % (period * 4);

AddVerticalLine(count >= 0 and (count[1] < 0 or count[1] > count), "1", Color.ORANGE, Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(count > period and count[1] <= period, "2", Color.RED, Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(count > period * 2 and count[1] <= period * 2, "3", Color.BLUE, Curve.FIRM);
AddVerticalLine(count > period * 3 and count[1] <= period * 3, "4", Color.GREEN, Curve.FIRM);

Any idea on how to convert it to AB?

@Nick, if someone else want to learn more about it, I see there is link to this "strange" (at least IMHO) stuff here.

A literal AFL translation does not seem too difficult (even if, as implied above, I'm quite skeptical about its usefulness).

In any case, do you have a TOS chart (ideally for SPY) to show how it should look?

1 Like

@beppe when you have some time give it a read. If we have the code we could play with it here extensively.

It's a cycles study with colored vertical lines and given fixed interval/s. That's it.
You can see a pic of what it looks like in the same link you provided.

I currently don't even have TOS installed. I stopped using it a while ago.

Hey @Nick,

You call this strange! I doubt it !

I wonder whether you are really interested in the application of these "strange" things onto a price chart. If yes then, Bryce T. Gilmore is the man for you. His works - Geometry of Markets and Dynamic Time and Price Analysis of Market Trends are simply mind-boggling in regards to the heights of strangeness that can be brought onto a price chart.

It's just that the polarity of trading systems can be from as simple as a Moving Average to anything. I truly become mesmerized with these concepts. After all psychology has to do with the most for trading success.

Cheers!

2 Likes