Download security NAME from tiingo in Amiquote

hi, regarding Tiingo data, I would like to know how I can download the NAME of the security in Amiquote.

I know it is possible to download the name of the security from Tiingo as you can check in this page

2.1 REST - End-of-Day Prices & Meta Information

under the point

2.1.3 Meta Endpoint

thanks

Open Notepad(++) and insert and save below format code as format file with name aqtmt.format to AmiBroker "Formats" folder.

# Import definition file automatically generated by AmiQuote
# from user-definable data source definition for: 'Tiingo Meta'
$FORMAT Ticker,Fullname
$SEPARATOR ,
$SKIPLINES 1
$NOQUOTES 1
$BREAKONERR 0
$CONT 1
$AUTOADD 1
$DEBUG 1
$GROUP 254

Next save below AQ data template code as Tingo Meta file with file extension ads. So e.g. save as TiingoMeta.ads.
Now in AmiQuote 4 go to "Data source" menu, choose "Import" and browse to location of saved ads file and import saved ads file. Then select "Tiingo Meta" source in AmiQuote (if it isn't selected yet) and click "Edit" button on right side. In next opened window go to API key field and insert your Tiingo API token. Then Click "OK". (You can additionally set Tiingo API token in Tools-Settings of AmiQuote if you haven't yet).

<AmiQuote Version="4.00">
<DataSource>
<Name>Tiingo Meta</Name>
<Description>Get Tiingo Symbol Meta data</Description>
<URLTemplate>https://api.tiingo.com/tiingo/daily/{symbol}?token={api_key}&amp;format=csv</URLTemplate>
<ErrorMsgPrefix/>
<Options>
<UseTodayAsEndDate>1</UseTodayAsEndDate>
</Options>
<Limits ReqPerMinute="0"/>
<CSVFormatOptions RemoveDoubleQuotes="0" ConvertISODateTime="0"/>
<ImporterOptions>
<FormatEOD>Ticker,Fullname</FormatEOD>
<FormatIntra/>
<FileExtension>aqtmt</FileExtension>
<Separators>,</Separators>
</ImporterOptions>
<SupportedIntervals>
<Interval Period="1440" MaxDays="3650" ExtraToken=""/>
<Interval Period="1" MaxDays="0" ExtraToken=""/>
<Interval Period="5" MaxDays="0" ExtraToken=""/>
<Interval Period="10" MaxDays="0" ExtraToken=""/>
<Interval Period="15" MaxDays="0" ExtraToken=""/>
<Interval Period="30" MaxDays="0" ExtraToken=""/>
<Interval Period="60" MaxDays="0" ExtraToken=""/>
</SupportedIntervals>
</DataSource>
</AmiQuote>

If downloading (after adding symbol to AQ) then in AmiQuote Download folder you should get *.aqtmt files with data content similar to below one (first two columns getting imported based on AQ data source settings).

$NAME AAPL
ticker,name,exchangeCode,description,startDate,endDate
AAPL,Apple Inc,NASDAQ,"Apple Inc. (Apple) designs, manufactures and markets mobile communication and media devices, personal computers, and portable digital music players, and a variety of related software, services, peripherals, networking solutions, and third-party digital content and applications. The Company's products and services include iPhone, iPad, Mac, iPod, Apple TV, a portfolio of consumer and professional software applications, the iOS and OS X operating systems, iCloud, and a variety of accessory, service and support offerings. The Company also delivers digital content and applications through the iTunes Store, App StoreSM, iBookstoreSM, and Mac App Store. The Company distributes its products worldwide through its retail stores, online stores, and direct sales force, as well as through third-party cellular network carriers, wholesalers, retailers, and value-added resellers. In February 2012, the Company acquired app-search engine Chomp.",1980-12-12,2019-09-06
2 Likes

thanks fxshrat, but it gives me an error.

For example, for the security KRE, the *.aqtmt file is like this:

$NAME KRE
<h1>Server Error (500)</h1>

Pdta: I named the *.ads file "Tiingo Meta.ads" in stead of " TiingoMeta.ads", but it gives error in both. I cannot figure out what other issue could be.

Thank you @fxshrat!
@malierta - this may be on our end for certain company descriptions that contain special characters when requesting data via CSV. This is due to an encoding issue for special characters in the CSV format. Will circle back shortly with an update.

1 Like

@malierta,
Error such as the one mentioned in your post is website issue but not on your end. And I see it has been confirmed by Rishi who runs Tiingo. Do test it with AAPL as I did. It works. Things posted by longtime AB experts/users of this forum do work in almost all cases. I for one do not post things not working as I do test before (in majority of cases) and besides I take my appropriate time to respond in order to create a thorough post making sense and being of some actual worth. I would consider it a waste of time on my end to post just for post sake. Contrary to some other forums AmiBroker forum is (high) quality forum.

As aside: it is best practice to (always) wait till 15-20 minutes have elapsed after post creation (e.g. I am referring to my post above as I did edits. So within that time span changes/corrections may occur. This in addition means always go to forum website and do not use content of any notification emails as such post adjustments will be missing in notifying mails).

@Rishi_at_tiingo, thank your for confirmation and for fix.

5 Likes