Import auxillary data

hey guys, actually I want to import sales and growth data in amibroker , my problem is that I have already used aux1 and aux2 field and want to use sales and growth as another fields to import data so that I can easily have limited symbols. One way I know is to change ticker name to ("ticker"_sales)

and use foreign("ticker"_sales,"1"),but I do not want to use that because I have so many fields that are yet to be imported . Please help me as ASAP

@anubhav as an alternative to the use of "synthetic tickers" you may want to investigate the ODBC AFL plugin.

The document explains how to connect to an instance of the MS SQL Server (Express edition is OK), but to properly use it IMHO you should be already familiar with essential SQL databases/queries.
(the plugin can use any ODBC compliant data source - not only MS SQL Server).

A significant part of the work is preliminary: you have to populate the external database with your fundamentals (if data is formatted correctly in Excel as a table, there are some migration tools to import such data directly into the MS SQL database tables).

This will require a good amount of work: planning the DB, creating queries and stored procedures, plus the Afl formulas to use the odbc AFL plugin.
Moreover, you should also evaluate how to "update/append data" to the external database when you'll get some new data (typically at least quarterly for fundamentals).

But, after all the pieces are in place, everything it is very flexible allowing you to add any extra time series/fundamental data that will be available in your analysis and plots (also allowing complex queries via stored procedures and/or views).

A suggestion: before fully committing to such a solution (and build a sophisticated database, queries, views, SQL scripts, etc.) do a short test using only one or two data tables (ideally with a long history) and see if the functionality and the performances are what you are looking for.

Finally, be sure to address any potential connection issues (due to long inactivity between queries and/or network problems when/if using remote machine servers).

5 Likes