The PC it taking "too much power"

The machine draws too much power which is causing the UPS to trip. I have Dell Optiplex 7080 10 core 20 threads intel i9-10900k CPU @ 3.70GHZ. The CPU utilization is 100% when this happens.
I have this machine since 2021. It was working just fine since Jan this year. It always consumed 100% CPU and used all threads on running analysis. I never had a problem. I contacted dell when this happened for the first time in January they recommended a firmware update. That solved the issue mostly. But since yesterday it is happening again after 1 hour of analysis batch run on 1 minute periodicity. I have tested the UPS (1000 VA) and tried another one but the problem persists.
Can anyone relate with this?

You bought power-hungry CPU, what do you expect?

Disconnect UPS, connect directly to power outlet and check.

Most likely it is not about UPS.

First thing to do is to VACUUM CLEAN your computer from the INSIDE. Dust accumulates inside computer pretty quickly and prevents fan from cooling the CPU effectively.

2 Likes

In addition to @Tomasz's recommendation to carefully remove all dust from inside the PC, if there are cooling fans, check that they are working properly and replace the broken ones if necessary.

1 Like

I will vaccum first thing in the morning. I haven't vaccum cleaned (or blown which is what i usually do) since purchase in march 2021.

So, yes don't vacuum by touching the board or components with anything like a vacuum brush attachment. Definitely opt a blow method due to static electricity. You can use a hair dryer, on cool etc.

Depending on your expertise, you might want to redo your CPU thermal paste. While you're in there, you might as well re-seat your memory modules. Also, some software utilities can monitor internal component temps, especially when under load etc.

Another culprit could be your machines power supply, might need to be replaced and/or upgraded.

Just a couple of thoughts, good luck.

3 Likes

Cleaning done, i used the blow mode. Quite a lot of dust inside especially in cpu heat exchanger. See pictures below. Now i shall test it by running a batch file that will analyse over 5 years of 1 minute data for 80 stocks. If it works without the error then we may have fixed it.

I was not comfortable about replacing the thermal paste so i did not. This thing has 30 days warranty left. If this doesn't work then i will get dell to do it.

Right after 1 hour of analysis the same problem occurred. Hence issue is elsewhere. :frowning:

If you buy cheap 1/4 inch foam and cut it for the air intakes, it makes a good dust filter etc.

Anyway there are numerous sensors, fan speed, heat and so forth that if you used software to view them during a run, you could see if it's a heat, voltage or other issue.

Also, you can do it again and write down the time it crashes. Then reboot, go into the windows event log viewer to see if there are any critical system events that were logged around that time. Might provide further insight.

Does this happen without a UPS?
Good luck.

1 Like

If cpu overheats will it draw more power?
Could you please recommend a utility that i could use to monitor various components.
No, if i bypass ups then there is no issue. But i cannot run without a ups for long durations due to power cuts and voltage fluctuations in my area.
No, there is nothing in windows event viewer other than 'unscheduled shutdown'.

Is the UPS initiating the computer shutdown? Is the UPS connected to the computer by USB or something and does the UPS come with its own software?

The reason I ask is that UPS(s) have rules for why/conditions and time the "why/conditions" is true, and in those events to then safely shut the computer down. For example, input voltage under a threshold from the wall and the time limit it is under that threshold. Under some set UPS battery level threshold, or supplementing a lack of power coming from the outlet et al. If the UPS comes with software, most of these setting can be user definable, if not then windows might have some adjustable settings. That is if it is sharing in fact data and in communication with the host computer system. If it isn't sharing information and is just a dumb connected UPS, then it is using its own internal rules and the thresholds which might be too sensitive. The only reason it is really necessary to power the computer down is before the battery is so low that it would be in a brown out condition or a power surge.

Could be you just have a shitty power at the wall socket.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=free+utility+to+monitor+computer+sensors

Just a dumb ups.
Yes u r right i need to check the wall socket. I will do this in morning and report back. Thankyou

So by dumb, it isn't properly shutting you system down correct and it's just all of a sudden stopping the power to your computer?

If that's the case then, that's not good, and I would argue it is not doing anything for you that a simple surge protector couldn't do.

Anyway, lastly I would run memtest and let it test all your memory at boot (per-windows login). While your at it, do a surface scan of any mechanical drives, because bad things can happen well power is suddenly cut while read/write/ heads are in the middle of operations. Same thing for SSD's and Nvme drives, but that is called bit rot and is a data corruption.

UPS provides power backup during power cut. It can run the pc for about 10 mins without power.

But after 10 minutes, it just shuts off and cuts power to your desktop computer, which is not good. If on the other hand, is was connected (data communication via USB cable) then it would send and perform a computer shut down the proper way and then turn itself (the UPS supplied power to the computer) off, in that order.

So one way (The bad way) is like pulling the computer power chord out of the wall while its running (and doing stuff) and the other is akin to going to the start menu and selecting "Shut Down", which will exit all running processes programs and empty any read/write cache (any type of drive) and (letting them finish and parking the hard drive heads; for spinning rust) and then exit windows correctly and then finally power the whole system down. The latter being the correct way and safer way. So what I'm saying is if your computer is ONLY connected to the UPS via a power chord, then it is just cutting off power to your computer and not properly shutting it down first.

Yes it is dumb that way. There is no usb connection etc to communicate with pc. When the power goes off It provides power till it can (around 10 mins) and if during that time i am unable to shutdown the pc (the proper way) then it just cuts off the power causing an improper shutdown.

Have you tried a UPS with a higher power capacity?

I tried stress test using a tool called HeavyLoad. I did a CPU stress test that runs the test at 100% usage for all 10 cores. No other applications were running. And exactly at 59 minutes the same problem occurred. The ups started bleeping. I shut down the test and the beeps stopped. So I can say conclusively that this is NOT a amibroker issue.
The Dell customer support has been blaming amibroker but today i will tell them about this.

In event viewer i had this information. The system has returned from a low power state.

If your computer is consuming more power than the UPS can deliver, it is going to beep.