Way to detect a blocked trade due to insufficient funds?

Is there anyway either in the main code or via the CBT to detect when a trade was blocked due to insufficient funds?

I do not think you can detect it without use of CBT.
In CBT you may compare position value with bo.Cash.
https://www.amibroker.com/guide/a_custombacktest.html

Here is a trace from the CBT. If bo.Cash is not decrementing upon each new entry, how am I supposed to be able to tell if a trade is taken or skipped?

And here is the code within the CBT that produced that trace:

if ( i > 0 )
		{
			dn_tn = NumToStr(dn[i], 1.0, False, False) + "_" + NumToStr(tn[i], 1.0, False, False);
			dn_tn_i = "DT: " + dn_tn + " i: " + NumToStr(i,1.0, True, False) + " ||||| " ;

for ( openpos = bo.GetFirstOpenPos(); openpos; openpos = bo.GetNextOpenPos() )
			{
				OpenPosShares = openpos.Shares;
				StaticVarSet ( "OpenPosShares" +  openpos.Symbol, OpenPosShares);
				//_TRACE(Dtf + " ##### OpenPosShares: " + NumToStr(OpenPosShares, 1.0) );
			}

for (sig = bo.GetFirstSignal(i); sig; sig = bo.GetNextSignal(i))
			{   
				tmpPrc = sig.Price;
				//if (doTrace) { _TRACE(dn_tn_i + " tmpPrc: " + NumToStr(tmpPrc, 1.2)); }

if (sig.IsLong() AND NOT sig.Type == 2 AND NOT sig.Type == 6 )  
				{
					psize = sig.PosSize;    

if (psize < 0)   
						psize = (-psize/100) * bo.Equity; 

LastEntryShares = psize / tmpPrc;
					StaticVarSet ( "LastEntryShares" +  sig.Symbol, LastEntryShares);
					if (doTrace) { _TRACE(dn_tn_i + " !!!!!!!!! En --- " + sig.Symbol + "  LastEntryShares: " + NumToStr(LastEntryShares, 1.4) + "  psize: " + NumToStr(psize, 1.2) + "  sig.Price: " + NumToStr(tmpPrc, 1.2) + "  sig.Type: " + NumToStr(sig.Type, 1.0) + "  bo.Cash: " + NumToStr(bo.Cash, 1.2)); }
				}

if (sig.Type == 6)    //  If this signal is a scale-out exit
				{
					LastEntryShares = StaticVarGet ( "LastEntryShares" +  sig.Symbol);

OpenPosShares = StaticVarGet ( "OpenPosShares" +  sig.Symbol);

if (doTrace) { _TRACE(dn_tn_i + " Ex --- " + sig.Symbol + " LastEntryShares: " + NumToStr(LastEntryShares, 1.4) + " OpenPosShares: " + NumToStr(OpenPosShares, 1.4) + "  bo.Cash: " + NumToStr(bo.Cash, 1.2)); }
					sig.PosSize = LastEntryShares * tmpPrc;    //  Set modified position size back into object
				}
			}

}

Always use Detailed Log as described in How do I debug my formula?

I know I can see it in the detailed trade log, but I need to detect it from code.

I also know how to extensively debug AB code.

It doesn't look like you're actually processing the entry signals with bo.ProcessTrades() or bo.EnterTrade(), so of course your cash wouldn't be changing.

1 Like

at the end of the CBT loop I am using:
bo.ProcessTradeSignals( i );

But this seems to only process once per bar, and not trade-by-trade within the bar. So if you look at my trace in the graphic above the cash is moving, but just not within the bar. I need to know trade by trade which ones are being skipped or not. Not bar-by-bar.

If you need to know how cash is affected by each trade, then you will need to enter and exit the trades yourself, i.e. use the low-level CBT instead of the mid-level CBT.

1 Like