What is the optimal RAM?

Hi all,

When I do a normal backtest it is fine. However when doing the Optimize it takes forever even if it is one year. Is 8:00 GB of RAM enough? When I look online 8 is enough for most people but perhaps not for Amibroker? If it is not optimal what is? I feel despite not being high it might be something else honestly. Below is some info about my laptop.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 4300U with Radeon Graphics 2.70 GHz
Installed RAM: 8.00 GB (7.41 GB usable)

System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

There is no single "optimal RAM" number.
AmiBroker by itself consumes 10MB (0.01GB) of RAM and it runs even on super old machines with mere 128MB of RAM. But this is not what decides how much RAM you need.

All that matters is:

• the amount of data you are using (it can be anywhere from megabytes to gigabytes depending on kind of data you have EOD, intraday, tick?)
  • your formulas (whenever you do use static variables and how many of them)
  • what you do (backtesting in raw modes takes more space than regular modes)
  • the settings (how much "in memory cache" you have defined in Tools->Preferences)
  • the operating system requirements (Windows 11 minimum is 4GB but it is unworkable)

Your post simply lacks all required information about what YOU ARE DOING.

You said optimization, but no-one knows what CODE you have unless you provide it. Chances are that you simply trying millions/billions of combinations.

Unfortunately your question does not provide all necessary details to give you an answer. Please follow this advice: How to ask a good question

4 Likes

Hi Tomasz,

Have increased my RAM from 8 to 20. Still having issues. Optimize is a little bit of a problem but walk forward is more of an issue.

In regards to the All that matters section I honestly am too naïve to understand at this stage for a big portion if what to look at.

I am not trying millions of combinations though.

Will try and work on my own and get back with a more in depth question if it is still an issue next week most likely.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.